The first month of 2013 is almost over, and up until yesterday I was still trying to find my one word for the year.
This is the second year I’ve abandoned the resolution list, but for some reason it was hard to find my focus. I prayed for guidance daily. And I stared at lists of verbs, hoping one would speak to me. I ended up making a choice, but it just didn’t feel right. And once again, I was left with nothing.
And now I know why.
I was thinking the word would be something I wanted to do in the future instead of something I simply needed to do right now.
When I focused on that, I found that I needed to balance the different areas of my life.
balance – verb ˈba-lən(t)s
a : to bring to a state or position of equipoise
b : to poise in or as if in balance
c : to bring into harmony or proportion
Last year, my word for the year was do. I wanted to do everything I could imagine. And for a while I did. And that led to a big burnout.
So I want this year to be about getting all areas of my life back in order, and trying to avoid another burnout.
To me, balance means:
- making sure I have “me” time to renew my mind and spirit, but not forgetting to connect with others
- spending time with friends and family, but also getting involved in church and giving back to my community
- working out and being active, but knowing when to rest
- working hard, but also having fun
- using a budget, but giving yourself some spending freedom
I know I won’t turn into this perfectly balanced being overnight, but having this focus gives me a good place to start.